Tuesday, October 17, 2017

“I need you more than anyone else, perhaps even more than you need me” he said and came around and flung an arm around her.

“Do you feel something really exclusive for me?” she asked.

“Of course, don’t you trust me when I tell you that?” he smirked.

“Oh no, I do but I was just thinking about something else” she replied.

He shifted slightly and came around and sat next to her and looked at her slightly surprised. “What?” he wanted to know.

She turned around and lowered her head on to his chest as if listening to his heart beat and began dreamily. “When I am with you, I am no longer the person I am with the rest of the world. You bring out a different ‘me’, someone who is all exclusive to you. I see hues that I have never known with anyone else; hear the echoes of a music that blooms from your pulse and resonates in me. I feel rejuvenated, alive and someone who doesn’t feel like me. This ‘me’ that I become when you are around belongs to you and none other.”

She took a deep breath and continued. “I like this ‘me’ that I am when you are around. Someday, if you decide to walk away. I will lose this portion of me tied to you. This ‘me’ who is exclusive to you and that I like about myself will be the collateral damage that you may inadvertently cause.”

She let a sigh escape her lips and closed her eyes for a moment, waiting for him to say something.

He held her close, ran his fingers through her hair and smiled. “The spoils of war are mostly about the territory that is won, be it two nations or two people satisfying their egos. The collateral damage is often taken for granted and is regarded as a price paid for a victory. However, that is exactly where a battle is won and a war is lost and I, understand that.”

He paused, held her chin and added. “It’s a lot of responsibility. I hope you realize what you are assigning me here.”

“Yes, I know” she smiled and went back to listening his heart beat and closed her eyes. “I know”.

CD


6 comments :

The Cloudcutter said...

They seem perfect together.

Roopa said...

Heartbeat speaks volumes. I agree they seem perfect together, it seems more like "you resonate with me"!
Well worded and leaves you with a smile. KEEP WRITING!!!

Roopa said...

“The spoils of war are mostly about the territory that is won, be it two nations or two people satisfying their egos. The collateral damage is often taken for granted and is regarded as a price paid for a victory. However, that is exactly where a battle is won and a war is lost and I, understand that.” Could you elaborate on this... would like to know your perspective.

How do we know said...

It is so rare to meet someone with whom you are a better self - even better than you have ever known yourself. Wishing them happiness, but knowing that most of it is in the present.

Himanshu Tandon said...

@ Gia: Yes. Perfect I guess.

@ HDWK: Yup, and present is uncertain.

@ Roopa: My perspective: Historically, when a war was fought and won, the spoils or war (land, wealth or resources) were counted but the collateral damage on civilian life or the cultures was mostly written off as a price to pay. Now, if there was a balance sheet where someone would attach a value to let's say, a monument destroyed versus say the oil fields that are captured, one may see that even if there was a victory, technically it was all a lost cause.

Similarly when 2 people fight, they end up trying to win an argument by letting the other person down so, even if an argument is won and an ego is satisfied, in the long run it wrecks the foundation of a relationship and that, is the collateral damage that occurs.

Hope it helps.

Roopa said...

Nice:)
Yes it did help!

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.