Saturday, February 4, 2017

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
“Which road do I take?” she asked.
“Where do you want to go?” was his response.
“I don’t know,” Alice answered.
“Then,” said the cat, “it doesn’t matter.”


- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

I hope you knew what you asked for.

When I walk on now, I will do so without looking over my shoulder. Do not expect me to give you a forewarning of the fork in our road, when it arrives. I will neither take a breather nor stand and reflect on our journey together. I will carry on just the way I have always done. I do not know what road will I take or if I will cut my way out of the trees. Perhaps, it won’t matter either.

You could have only pushed me as much.

There are no goodbyes to be said. We do not qualify for a luxury like that to be granted to us. Apathy corroded us over the years and why should the prevailing silence be disturbed by needless farewell remarks. We conquered the mountains without having to say anything to each other and I now see no honour in shattering this silence and humiliating and embarassing each other, once more.

Yesterday is gone forever.

It took me ages to master my rage and I will time my exit when you blink your eyes. It is only apt that I do not allow you any premonition and disappear in the mist and be gone without a trace.  The footprints will be washed by the waves in that same flash and the epitaph shall remain blank forever. I do not believe in prolonging the misery. 

I will revel in the knowledge of the single trick you made me learn – the vanishing act.

I disappear now…

poof


tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.