Sunday, February 12, 2017

I wait for you at the corner of the fragile moon and the tired sun, sitting on the bench by the banyan tree overlooking the banks of the river that we swam across when we were young. I have setup a tender charcoal flame by a side and will let the breeze kindle and play with it. Later, I will grill a few corn cobs on the ember to be ready for you, by the time you arrive.

On my way here, I bought a few strands of jasmine. I had put them in the pocket of my shirt for you to discover when you rest your head on my shoulder. I also got a few rose petals and have kept them with the wine I carried for the evening. Once you are here we will crush them and blow them into the wind as our offering to the universe.

I have waited for this evening and this perfect sunset for several years now. The crimson sky bears a testimony to my patience and has summoned those luscious grey clouds by the horizon to stand witness to this moment when you fulfill your promise and share my goblet.

19For our drink this evening, I will blend the fading sunlight from the blushing sun with the nectar of the musk from my carafe and pour out the languishing pangs of a separation of a life time into my chalice. I will add the ice from the cold nights we spent sleepless, tossing and turning on the beds that did not belong to us and then dilute it with the dew gathered from the tips of feeble dreams and pastel hopes that kept us alive between those various lives we lived.

Tonight once we consume our souls and pay the final homage to the vessel that carried us all along, I will take a moment to simply lie down here in the grass, besotted and glazed with you and count the stars in the sky that you have always claimed to be yours and see if the count sums up the days of our lives that went by.

I hear the leaves rustle and the wind now bears your fragrance. I gather myself up from my trance, run my fingers through my hair, adjust my collar and clean up the bench for you to sit on.

Cheers to the night and the waiting drink !!!


1 comments :

The Cloudcutter said...

Waiting is bittersweet.
So is wondering how things will turn out.
But finally realising that you belong to a soul as tragic and beautiful as your own is just sweet.

A wonderfully evocative post with just the right brush strokes of longing and introspection.

tandonz.com. Powered by Blogger.